Pairing Injectables with facial therapy for the best results
Clients often seek fillers and injectables like Botox because of their quick results. Oftentimes, a series of peels to lessen the depth of wrinkles can take several months or years to see results. However, a little filler can plump up a wrinkle on the spot, or prevent a wrinkle from forming in the first place. For example, Botox is quick and easily tolerated – the definition of a lunchtime treatment.
As estheticians, it is our job to support our clients’ decision with the best possible facial care to help make their injectables lash, and compliment their anti-aging results. Clients will often ask: Is combining Botox with other facial treatments a good idea? The short answer is: it depends.
Here are some tried and true combination treatments utilizing botox, fillers and facial treatments to achieve the best results:
COMBINING BOTOX WITH FILLERS
Clients ask most often for guidance about combining Botox with a cosmetic filler like Juvederm, Kybella or Restylane. Like Botox, dermal fillers are considered a quick treatment with little downtime. As a result, you can consider these two treatments during a single visit. Here’s some general guidance about when they might complement one another:
1. For different types of wrinkles: Botox and other cosmetic injectables, like Dysport, Xeomin or Jeaveau, are typically used on expression lines, whereas dermal fillers work on static lines. As a result, they may be used together to treat different stages of aging on the face.
2. For different treatment areas: Generally speaking, Botox is indicated for areas around the eyes and forehead. On the other hand, dermal fillers have broad application for the middle and lower areas of the face.
3. To prolong results: On particularly animated areas of the face (such as around the mouth), the hyaluronic acid in a cosmetic filler generally breaks down quicker, as a result of the increased movement. By relaxing the area first with Botox, filler results can be maximized.
COMBINING BOTOX WITH BASIC FACIALS
It’s best to wait a minimum of 24 hours after Botox injections to have facials. By waiting, you give the Botox injection site a chance to heal. Additionally, because you’re in a horizontal position during a facial, there’s a risk of Botox drifting for up to four hours after treatment. That said, it is best to suggest a facial before Botox on the same day. A facial works to clean and refresh the skin at the superficial level of the face. Then, the face is prepared for Botox, which smoothes wrinkles and fine lines underneath the skin.
COMBINING BOTOX WITH CHEMICAL PEELS
It’s possible to schedule chemical peels before Botox — not the other way around. However, we would only make this recommendation on a caseby-case basis. Generally speaking, a lighter facial peel on the same day can be considered. That’s because a chemical peel works at a superficial level to treat skin imperfections and even out skin texture and tone. On the other hand, Botox works at the level of the muscle. In terms of a deeper peel, it should be scheduled several days after Botox treatment to minimize the risk of skin irritation.
COMBINING MICRODERMABRASION WITH BOTOX
The recommendation for microdermabrasion and Botox is similar to a Chemical Peel and Botox. While it’s possible, it’s necessary to assess each client’s skin first before recommending the two treatments together.
COMBINING MICRONEEDLING WITH BOTOX
Microneedling and Botox are not treatments that may be performed on the same area on the same day.
Recommend scheduling these treatments at least a few weeks apart. Additionally, it’s important to note that the time between treatments is more important than the order of treatment. Basically, it’s up to you whether to schedule Micro needling or Botox first for your client.
How long to wait after Injections before getting other Facial Treatments including Lasers, IPL, DOT Therapy and Hair Removal:
• Facials – wait two weeks
• Enzyme Peels – wait two weeks
• Laser Genesis – wait two weeks
• Glycolic or AHA peels wait two weeks
• Deep Chemical Peels wait four weeks
• Facial waxing – wait two to four weeks
• Laser Hair Removal for face wait two to four weeks
• Fraxel Laser treatments wait four weeks
• Dot Therapy Laser Treatments wait four weeks
• Liquid Nitrogen (dry ice) wait four weeks
• DermaPen Microneedling wait four weeks
• Healite II – wait one week (note this may vary depending on what you have injected and where)